Thursday, October 13, 2011

Papparazzo's are People, Too

Jezebel puts out (pun intended) a little story about a day in the life of a paparazzo... those hidden men and women behind the cameras, that capture the shots, of all the pretty celebrities we can't seem to get enough of.
When I was 13, I went to Hollywood and found myself at the premiere of Josie and The Pussycats. Remember that movie? Rachel Leigh Cook's follow up to She's All That?
Josie and the Pussycats  (2001)


Yeah, I know, why would you? Why would I? Well, I mixed in myself with the 'razos while I was there, met Rachel Leigh Cook, and adopted a celebrity-by-association complex for the next couple months. I think I saw this film like, a million times. But I don't have any paraphanilia of hers.
I, after all, knew her personally.
But there are lots of people, who make decent livings trailing around after the stars and starlets, snapping their photgraphs and selling them to magazines.
The photographer in focus in this article is "Wagner" a Brazilian papparazo in New York, and his day chasing Sarah Jessica Parker, Snooki, Michael Douglas, and then some
The author attempts to humanize these picture hounds, and I think he does a pretty good job. The reading added depth to an awesomely shallow field of pop culture, I think a person is always a little bit better knowing any kind of backstory.
Learning how the target celebs cooperate with these guys also lends some interesting insight to who celebreties - overglorified, ego maniacs (it has to be true) - really are. I say that from a purely analytical standpoint, of course.
It's not something I would have read more than a quarter of on my own. But, it is fairly well written. I think it's greatest asset is the fluid way it takes on the first-person perspective.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Allie. I love that you offer your own celeb obsessed moment. Don't hate me but I met RLC once. Well, I sort of went to a movie with her (and several other LA film kids). Anyway, nice recap/analysis of the Jezebel piece. Extra points for the pun.

    ReplyDelete